Regular Tune-Ups Can Save Your Vehicle - Boyds Tire
If a tune-up sounds like a simple thing, you’d probably be surprised that many car owners actually forget to have one done regularly. In combination with other preventative maintenance like transmission flushes and oil changes, tune-ups can extend the life of your vehicle by inspecting and restoring vital engine parts. Tune-ups should be done at regular intervals, about every 30,000 miles, and especially in older vehicles. Things wear out overtime, so even if it’s been a few years, you may want to ask yourself: When was the last time I checked my hoses and gaskets? Are my sparkplugs still in working condition? How long has it been since I’ve changed the air-filter or fuel-filter?
Tune-ups can not only replace worn parts they can save you time and money in the long run by preventing costly future repairs, and boosting the performance of your vehicle. If you’ve noticed any of the following, it’s probably time for a routine tune-up:
- Poor gas mileage
- Sluggish performance
- Engine sounds, knocks, or pings
- Minor electrical issues
- Ventilation issues
And with a tune-up, your skilled neighborhood mechanic will check and replace the following:
- Replace the air filter
- Replace the fuel filters
- Install new spark plugs and replace any worn spark plug wires
- Inspect and install a new distributor cap if one is needed
- Inspect and install a new rotor if the old one has cracks, burning or carbon build-up
- Inspect the valve-cover gasket and adjusting the valves
- Check and top off all fluids
- Check the battery and clean the terminals
- Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve replaced, if clogged
- Visually inspect hoses and belts for wear and tear
A tune-up is a great way to keep your car performing in peak condition, and prevent those costly repairs before they happen. After a tune-up, remember to ask your mechanic if they were able to pin-point any problems that the car may be having, and come up with a game plan for preventative maintenance. This can save time AND money in the long run, just by simply popping the hood and taking steps for routine maintenance.
Our Service Department is happy to answer all of your tune-up questions and more! Contact your local mechanic today!
|Regular Tune-Ups Can Save Your Vehicle - Boyds Tire was written by James Shultz of Boyds Tire|